Were you aware that certain smells can have an effect on your mental health?
According to a study done at Columbia University the top scents for production are as follows:
- Makes people feel more energetic and more "activated."
- Helps relieve respiratory tract infections when inhaled.
- Helps relieve nausea and vomiting during pregnancy.
- Is a powerful calming and mood-improving agent.
- Helps bring down the pH level of your skin, consequently killing odor-causing microbes.
- Shrinks and tightens the pores and therefore reduces sweat production.
- Covers unpleasant odor with its refreshing citrusy smell.
- Promotes calmness, lowers stress levels, and fights anxiety, nervousness, and depression.
- Helps you sleep better by making you more relaxed and alleviating symptoms of insomnia.
- Reduces stress levels and helps enhance concentration.
- Increased productivity, creativity, and clarity of thought.
- Subdues feeling of irritability and aggression, promotes openness and compassion, and enhances benefits of meditation.
- Interrupts the distractions of the conscious mind to access deeper subconscious levels.
- May increase mental alertness and decrease anxiety.
- Reducing anxiety and stress
- Boosting mood and promoting feelings of contentment and happiness
- Boosting cognitive performance, concentration, and alertness, especially when consumed in tea
- Balancing mood swings, blood pressure, PMS symptoms, hormones, menopause/hot flashes, and libido
- Defusing aggression
- Enhancing mood, boosting energy levels, and reducing anxiety in aromatherapy
- Boosting the effect of the neurotransmitter GABA
- Promoting beta rhythms in the brain, those associated with mental alertness
- Soothing tension, anxiety, stress, sleepiness and sadness
- Calming rapid heartbeats, reducing blood pressure, and easing shock during a panic attack
- Alleviating anxiety and lowering blood pressure in some people
- Reducing anxiety, depression and overall mood
- Reducing infections and alleviating pain
- Acting as an aphrodisiac
- Enhancing the appearance of the skin
- It helps increase memory and learning skills. A study reports a significant increase in learning success by 30% if a person is exposed to the smell of roses during both learning and sleep phases.
- It releases calming vibrations, which can help you relax and meditate easily.
- It symbolizes love, peace, happiness, and prosperity, and is great for drawing in positive energy.
- Rosei oil stimulates the release of chemical dopamine, which plays a pivotal role in the helping to relieve the symptoms of depression.
For these and more tips and tricks make sure to check back to my blog weekly for new posts.